Sunday, August 24, 2014

The 100th Blog Post!

Finally, after just a little over 2 years, you are reading my 100th blog post!

Lets all pretend that 2 tons of confetti is raining from the ceiling right now! Weeeeee confetti!! Ow, crap I just got one in my eye....

If you've read all 100 of my rants and rambles, you deserve a medal! I'm not going to give you one, but just know that I think you deserve one! Job well done my friend, or family member, or random person that I don't know from Russia, Spain, Philippines, Czech Republic, Azerbaijan and Fsldkjfursldth. You have shown a true commitment to my 2 year journey of lame jokes, confusing rambles, narcissistic tendencies, constant bragging about my child, freak outs about things that don't matter, my love for TMI, and my complete lack of care towards the rules of punctuation.

Thank you! 

And cheers to another 100!

Seriously though, I'm so glad I decided to make this blog. 2 years ago, I was pregnant with Eleni and feeling like everyone I love and care about back home were missing out on the most important thing to ever happen in my life. This made me so sad and homesick. I felt guilty that I'd moved so far away and taken away everyones opportunity to share in experiences like this with me. So I decided to start the blog so I could at least keep my family and close friends updated on what was happening over here. I thought this was the answer to fixing what they (well, YOU) were missing out on, but what I didn't realize was how big of an impact this was going to have on me.

I had forgotten that writing is an important outlet for me. When I'm sad, frustrated, stressed, happy, excited, whatever it is, writing helps me focus, it helps me squash any negativity I might be feeling. I have a bad habit of dwelling on things. If I can't get to the root of a problem and fix it right away, I can't stop thinking about it. And by continuing to think about it, I continue to feel upset about it until it's fixed.The process of slowing down to put things into written word, and of course my need to throw humour into the mix (yes Freud, I know, major defense mechanism, whatever, you stay out of this!), really helps me put things into a positive light again. Or if they're already in a positive light, it's just nice to hold onto those moments a little longer. I guess in a nutshell, writing lets me get rid of the crap that I don't want to hanging around in my brain, and lets me hold on a little tighter to the things I do want in there. Does that make sense?

Good: in. 
Bad: out. 
Simple stuff. 
But so important!

My homesickness will never fully go away. I'll always have moments of missing home and everyone there, but writing the blog and getting your responses back has helped tremendously! I may not be able to see you face to face, or give you a hug whenever I want to, but you're all there, you're reading, listening, enjoying the photos despite my complete lack of talent for photography (and, not to mention my complete lack of progress on that for 2 whole years!), and even laughing at the stupid jokes. I believe, in some ways, this blog has even brought me closer to you. Because even if we were sitting across the table from one another, I probably wouldn't have told you all the stories that I've told you here. We forget or we don't have enough time. Sometimes I just don't want to talk about it, but I can write it down no problem. Like today. Telling you all this. I don't actually know why I'm telling you all this today, I just sat down at the computer and this is what's coming out. But I'm going with it because that's what I've done with the 99 other posts.

Why change things now?

Anyway, on top of all this I'm also so thankful to have this written history to look back on, for Eleni to look back on (and hopefully not be too embarrassed), and the twins now too!

If they want to know what happened on the day they were born
or what day they took their first steps,
what were their first words,

WHEN THEY SAID THEIR FIRST SWEAR WORD (Ahmmmm Eleni, August 22nd 2014, it's the F word, and you know exactly how to use it....I'm correcting you to say Ze Frank which is one of your favourite cartoons right now but we all know that's totally not what you're saying, I'm just hoping to trick you into thinking that's what you're saying so you'll stop swearing in public! Jesus Christ!!),

it'll all be here, 
with every detail, 
never to be forgotten

That's pretty cool

So, with all that being said, lets move on and put a few more things into the history book today, along with some really horrible photos that I know you're going to love!

Tuesday we had a check up with the doctor. All my test results came back and I am super duper healthy and doing great which means the babies are also doing great!

They are each 10cm long now. 2 strong heartbeats: 156 and 158 beats per minute...for all you old-wives-tale believers: this means girls. We still don't know for sure. Maybe next month we'll find out. Sorry old wives, but I tend to put a little more faith in science when it comes to these things....

I'm 16 weeks this weekend....so does that count as 4 months? Kind of? I'm gonna say it does sanity's sake

I've gained 6 1/2 kg which is almost 15lbs...I can't remember what I'd gained with Eleni at this point, I'll look back later and find out, but oh god....this belly's getting heavy already! Granted, my back and core muscles still hadn't completely recovered from my pregnancy with Eleni so I wasn't as strong from the start as I was with her. But even my feet are aching already. I'm not the praying type, but

Lord help me! 
I'm getting the impression that this may not be the easiest thing I've ever done....

But the coolest thing that's happening this week is I'm starting to feel them move! I felt Twinny B (I call them the Twinny's now since they don't have names yet....well they kind of do but I won't tell you what just yet) tapping lightly every now and then over the last couple weeks, but now I can feel tiny little flutters of kicks and punches and rolls from both of them! Very exciting!

Eleni's 2nd birthday is on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!! 

We're planning the party right now. 12pm, Wednesday, at the restaurant. I'm going to try to do a rainbow theme. This all depends on what I can find in Mytilini tomorrow for decorations, but that's the plan for now. I'll have photos for you next weekend. She's so excited! She's been talking about her birthday all month! She'll have chocolate cake, just like she asked for. We'll invite all the friends she asked for. She loves rainbows. Even though when I ask her "Eleni, what colours do you see on the rainbow?" she says very adamantly "BLACK!"....maybe she'll have a different, slightly less Gothic view of the colour spectrum after this. One can hope.

The lovely Nicole was here for 3 weeks and just left this morning for a week of adventures in Turkey and then home again to Canada. We miss you already Nicole! Eleni loves you to pieces, I think almost as much as I do, and Antonis wants to tell you again to please be careful in Turkey..... and by that he means be careful of the Turkish men.....and by that he means please don't bruise the Greek male ego by choosing a Turkish husband instead of a Greek one....I told him you're only there for a week but apparently that's done nothing to eliminate his concerns.

Ok, I'll close blog post 100 here with a mish mash of photos from the week and with sincere intentions of continuing to write the Mallis family history here for at least another 100 blog posts.

Cheers!


ICE CREAM!!


You got a little on your face there Elli-Bean


OH, it went up your nose too? 


Dinner at the restaurant
Our happiest customer!


Mmmmm giovetsi and apple juice! 
the apple juice is mostly water...
I'm one of those no fun mom's that worries about health and teeth


Beach time with Nicole!!


Lets go swimming!!


Come on Mommy!


Mommy daughter picture!
Eleni we'll get the rocks after, can we just take a picture together right now? 


There we go! 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 100th! Eleni is sooo adorable! Happy 2nd birthday to her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ru!!!! And happy 1st anniversary to you and Parm!!

      Delete