Saturday, August 9, 2014

Tons of Photos For You

(oops, not sure what happened here but there seems to be a bit of a glitch happening and I can't get rid of this giant photo in this very strange spot. Sorry guys but I'm not going to spend all day trying to fix it, I'm off to the beach, so just scroll down and pretend this never happened haha! Thanks!)

Today I find myself experiencing something I wasn't sure existed anymore.......FREE TIME!

Eleni is over at her grandparents house, somehow I cleaned the entire house yesterday without realizing what a great job I did until this morning, and there's nothing else that needs my attention.

Except for me!!

And you!

So the first thing on my list of things to do today is to attack you with a ton of pictures. Some old, some new. If we're friends on facebook then you've already seen a lot of these but there are a few extras as well.

First I'll just quickly update you on what's going on around here:

Eleni's great! Talking like crazy in both English and Greek. This week I noticed that she is consciously switching between the two languages depending on who she's talking too. For example, if she's spent some time with Yia yia and Papous (who she can only speak Greek to), then she comes home with mommy (who speaks to her in 98% Englsih), she might start to say something in Greek to me, but then she'll stop herself, think for a second, and then say that same word in English. So she definitely understands that there are two different languages going on and she knows which one to use with which person.

But she also knows that Mommy understands Greek and Baba understands English. Because, for example, if she only knows the word for something in Greek, she'll say the Greek word to me but she waits for me to say the word in English. The she repeats it. I get ridiculously excited about this.....I just think it's beyond amazing!

Anyway, until now I couldn't tell that she understood that there were two languages going on around her because she was always thinking before she was saying anything. Now her language skills are more developed, so her response time is a lot faster, which means a hesitation is more noticeable now when she suddenly has to switch from speaking all Greek to all English or vice versa. But weirdly, when she talks to Antonis and I at the same time she can switch back and forth between languages instantly, without hesitation. My guess is that since she's used to using both languages in our house it's easier for her to transition between the two wheras maybe it's a bit more difficult to go from speaking only Greek for 2 hours (or whatever) then switching over to only English? I don't know, this is just a guess that I'll never get an answer too, but I find it interesting anyway.

This might not seem like a big deal to some but it's pretty exciting for us because we weren't sure how her language development would be affected by teaching her both languages at the same time. A lot of what I read about this method said that it works well but not to expect your child to say anything until about 2 years of age.

Well, Eleni will be 2 in just over 2 weeks....her language skills are way beyond what the books say, so we're relieved and extremely proud of her. From the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to bed, the girl doesn't stop talking, and I might roll my eyes sometimes or joke that she "takes after both her grandmothers" but really, it's the best sound in the world and I could happily listen to it 24 hours a day.

As for the rest of us, we're great! I'm feeling really good, finally! I'm a lot more energetic and I haven't felt sick in about 2 weeks. I do have a lot of pain in my hips, back and lower stomach, but it's not all the time and it's just normal growing pains. About once a week or every 10 days or so I've been experiencing growth spurts...it's pretty painful and all I can really do is lie down and wait for it to pass. But it isn't anything to worry about....except that every time this happens I can actually see my belly has grown again which is a bit frightening since I'm only 14 weeks but look about 24 weeks. It's insane! Seriously, how big will this belly get??? I had another one of these growth spurts last night, it lasted a few hours, and by midnight last night you could already tell the belly had grown again. It's kind of weird and cool at the same time. But also terrifying because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be as big as bus in just a few short weeks.....

Anyway, I want to get to the beach before I run out of this thing you all call FREE TIME, so here are a bunch of pictures from when Eleni and I were in Canada, and at the end are some recent photos of Eleni. I haven't taken an updated belly shot but I'll do that this week once I get around to recharging my camera.

Have a great weekend!!



Her first time in the snow
First snowman
she wasn't too sure about it at first 
but then who is when you're dressed like a marshmallow and can hardly move!


Building a snow kitty on the balcony


Eating snow for the first time


Before bed snuggles with Papa and watching The Cuddlies on his phone 


Shopping with Gaga in a race car


Fun at the park with Gaga!


Making friends


"Come on Gaga, we're going to play over here now"


Cuddles with cousin Charley
And a big birthday kiss to little Charley Mae who turned 2 yesterday!!
We love you girlie!


More cousins! Heidi and Spencer, both cute as a button


And still more cousins! Kora being awesome, as always! 
We miss you Koko!


And MORE cousin fun! And some auntie and uncle fun too!
Cuddles for Brianna, who Eleni fell in love with immediately
And here's my mom and my auntie Pat side by side so you can see that twins really are genetic in our family


Just goin' for a drive...with a towel on her head...you know, normal everyday stuff...


Cousin Savannah!


Playing with Auntie Bonnie, Uncle Kev and Savannah at our early Easter celebration


Jumping!


Easter baskets


Chocolate time!


Reading a book with Uncle Kev


Having a chat with Sandy


A winter's day at the beach and looking for sea lions with Gaga and Papa


One of her favourite things to do, throwing rocks in the water


Music time with Uncle Dale and Sandra

And now here's some more recent photos from here in Molyvos:


Tubby time outside on a hot June day


I dare you to come a little closer Baba!


Dancing with Christina on the balcony


Cutie pie!


Super cutie pie, on her way to a birthday party


Alexandros turns 4! (He's in the yellow). 
Eleni's very excited to have her own birthday party now because she had so much fun at Alexandros' party
She's decided to have chocolate cake
and she will be inviting Alexandros...or "Ekshandos" as she calls him


Birthday parties are fun!!


4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you and Antonis and Eleni!
    Love and hugs from Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy!!
      Lots of love and hugs right back at you, from all of us
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lotsa love to you and your new family!!! Feeling the greek moment right now...wish i was on the beach bathing in greek sun and stuffin my face with gyros!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I wish you were here so we could do that together!! Lotsa love right back at ya Annykins!!

      Delete