Monday, May 28, 2012

Pregnant Lady Crazy

Once again I'm having that "throw $*@! over the balcony" feeling....

I WAS really excited to talk about the baptism we went to yesterday and show you the pics from that but that's not going to happen today unfortunately (*sniff sniff)

I don't think it's any big secret that I'm not the most patient or easy going person when it comes to figuring out what's wrong with some technological device or another. People I can do but techonology...FORGET IT! I morph into this other person and trust me, no one wants to meet her! She's cranky, snippy, and beyond stubborn if someone is trying to offer their help, which is really stupid because help is exactly what I need when I get to that point. If I'm in this state and you're trying to help me, basically I'm going to tell you that nothing is going to work no matter how qualified you are to make it work...I can't fix it so that means this thing is a big hunk of junk, it's defective and therefore there's nothing you can do to fix it either so just stop talking to me about it!! Throw some pregnancy hormones in there and I'll say all the above but I'll probably include some unnecessary name calling as well. And when I say I'm feeling like throwing this stuff over the balcony...I'm not kidding. I'm actually fighting the urge to smash things right now....

I'm pregnant lady crazy. 

But admitting there's a problem is the first step to recovery...or, so I've heard.

That, however, does not solve my latest techno issue.

The problem is the memory card from my camera. I have 2 ways of plugging it into my computer to upload the pictures off of it. I'm going to try to explain this even though I know I'm about to completely blow my intellectual cover (hahaha, pregnant lady crazy makes me delusional too! Intellectual?...). Ok, so the memory card itself is this teeny tiny little chip that slides into an adapter and this adapter goes into my camera. On my laptop, I can just take this whole adapter/memory card combo and plug it into it's designated port in my computer. No other thing can plug into this port, it's only home to the adapter/memory card and nothing else is welcome. The other option, because not all computers have this special little home for a adapter/memory card combo, is you can slide the teeny tiny memory card chip out of its's adapter and put it into a special teeny tiny USB thingy that then, of course, goes into one of the USB ports in the computer.

Are you still with me? I feel like I've lost some of you. I think I've lost myself too, I'm so bored with this conversation! Ugh, we're almost there though so I'll keep going....

Ok, so the problem occurs when I plug in the memory card from either of the 2 options...NOTHING HAPPENS. It makes the little sound that it makes whenever you plug something into the computer (I actually typed the sound out but erased it when I realized that you can't actually hear the sound even though I've written "do do", good thing I caught that mistake because I almost looked really stupid...) BUT:

  •  there's no little icon that pops up on the tool bar to show that it recognizes a new device is present 
  • a window doesn't appear asking me if and how I want to upload my pictures and videos 
  • if I go to the start menu and click on Devices and Printers it shows an icon for a Mass Storage Device but when I right click it to browse files, it's not highlighted which means I can't click on anything and can't open anything, so it's not recognized there either. 


So then I tried it in Antonis' laptop so I could figure out if it's the actual memory card that's the problem or if it's my computer. And it doesn't work on his computer either. So it's a memory card issue.

Whew! Finally I can stop talking about this uuuuuuuuuuugghhhhhh I'm so bored! But it was necessary to ramble on like that because maybe someone reading this will have had this problem before or have heard of it and then can tell me what to do to MAKE THIS PROBLEM DISAPPEAR help me fix it. Because if I can't get my pictures onto the computer, it kinda defeats the purpose of my blog. Oh, and I promise I won't get pregnant lady crazy and call you names if you offer any advice. If we were talking face to face I might not be able to stop myself in time to keep that from happening but through correspondence I can usually cool myself down before I start typing expletives.

Anyhoo, if it's not raining tomorrow Antonis and I will probably be going to Mytilini (a little side note for those of you back home: Mytilini is like the Victoria or Nanaimo of the island but a lot smaller, more chaotic and it kind of smells funny but that's where you have to go when you can't get what you need in the village). If I can't get the pictures off the memory card by then maybe we can buy a new one in Mytilini.

To keep us going until I can sort out this little issue: here's some more old pictures

 This is Apostolis, Miltos and Maria's son. He's super impressed that he's getting his picture taken right now, as you can see. Or maybe this is his version of Blue Steel...I'm not sure. Anyway this was at Miltos and Maria's house in February, it was a holiday called Tsikno Pembty. This happens just before Lent and basically what happens is you eat as much meat as you possibly can because for the next 40 days you'll have given up meat for Lent. So we all got together in Kalloni at Miltos and Maria's and had a BBQ. That's me in the background..I'm probably 2.5 months pregnant I think? The smell of grilled meat was still a bit difficult to deal with so I couldn't have been past 12 weeks. And that's Evi beside me, Maria's in the kitchen. The men are outside standing around the fire pit drinking beer and grilling meat while the women get stuff ready in the kitchen. Wait a minute, am I in Cumberland again???


Apostolis stole my camera at dinner that night and got this shot as well as various others of the wall, ceiling and floor. But this one turned out great! This is our friend Theodoris. I really hope he never finds out about my blog. And if he does, sorry Titi but when a 4 year old takes a picture like this it just can't stay hidden forever 


And here's another gem. This is our good friend Vasilis, he's Lefteris' best friend. You always know it's going to be a good night when Vasilis is there! He's a fantastic carpenter but as you can see here he doesn't just make things out of wood as he's cleverly folded his fancy napkin into a pointy bra. On the left we have Theodoris again, without the extreme close up this time, but this is the interesting part...he's just eating his salad as if nothing out of the ordinary is going on beside him. I might not have been able to drink any wine that night, but it didn't seem to matter thanks to the entertainment! 
This is at Naomi and Teo's wedding, February 18th. 



Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww muffin! ;) <3

    I could totally help you with all of that, but alas you're living on a Greek island and I'm n Vancouver.. which is rainy... of course.

    Hopefully you can get it sorted soon - but can I suggest a cord that plugs your camera directly into the computer? (USB). That's how I take my pics off my cameras.

    We should try a chat this weekend if you're around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I was totally writing this post to you hoping you'd have some magical solution for me :( Oh well. I actually stopped by the camera store here in the village and the girl plugged the memory card into her card reader....and it worked! So now I don't know what the hell is going on. I suggested to Antonis that we should get a USB cord for the camera so that's probably going to happen.

      I would love a chat this weekend! We don't have any weddings or baptisms this weekend so I have lots of time

      Delete